Friday, May 18, 2012
Sweet Potato & Spinach Pasta
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods, and I love finding new ways to incorporate them into meals. I tweaked this recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen a little bit and the result was delicious!
Here's what you'll need:
2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
Extra-virgin olive oil
2-3 oz. spinach
1 box pasta of your choice
1 T balsamic vinegar
2/3 cup coarsely-grated Parmesan cheese
Here's what you'll do:
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. While the pasta cooks, peel sweet potatoes and cut them into 1 inch pieces. Heat 1 T olive oil in a large, heavy frying pan and begin to saute the sweet potatoes over medium heat, stirring occasionally so they don't burn.
2. When sweet potatoes are soft and cooked through (about 10 minutes), turn heat to low and add another 1 tsp. of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Saute over low heat, stirring often, for a few minutes more, until the sweet potatoes are glazed with the vinegar.
3. Place spinach in the bottom of the colander where you're going to drain the pasta. When pasta is done, scoop out 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Then pour the hot pasta over the spinach.
4. Add the pasta and spinach to the pan with the sweet potatoes, and stir to combine. Add the reserved pasta cooking water and stir gently again. Then add most of the Parmesan cheese and stir again.
5. Serve hot, with the reserved Parmesan cheese to sprinkle over each serving at the table.